Thursday, February 20, 2014

"Accidents"

 


When we were potty training my son, I was so worried about how I reacted to accidents.

Whether you call it an “accident” or an “incident,” poop on the floor is a buzz-kill.  I know it’s not the child’s fault, but it’s still aggravating after you’ve asked him five times if he has to go potty and he says “no,” and then goes on the floor.

Of course, you don’t want the kid to know you’re aggravated, so you put on a fake smile and say “ok, next time we’ll use the potty!” (Saying “we” instead of “you” is inevitable for parents, no matter how much we despise ourselves when we hear it come out of our mouths.)

But here’s the thing.  Isn’t there a limit to how much fakeness and tiptoeing we should do around our kids?  

We have to accept that we’re human.  We have to be able to feel things.  I think kids can sense it when you’re trying to hide your negative reactions.

Someone once suggested to me that I have my son help clean up any messes he makes, even if they come from his own body.  That sounded cruel at first, but then I tried it and it really helped.  

I just said “ok, you made a poop on the floor.  Now let’s clean it up.”  It became a consequence, not a punishment.  And over time, the “accidents” stopped.  I even felt less angry, because I didn’t have to clean it up by myself.)

Of course, having a toddler help you clean can be a chore unto itself.  But that’s another story...